Monday, January 11, 2010

Hot dog impulses


We had an intensive 15 minutes of hotdog training. I said encouraging things and made strange gestures while offering hotdog slices. Buster K was willing to work with me. This sure beat his normal kibble rewards. He spent much of the time making a big production of offering his hand for a shake or lying down in hopes that that was what I was about to command him to do anyway. We were working on impulse control as well as the tricks. Maybe that is because yesterday he flew across the room and lept on to the couch I was reclining on while snatching a piece of pizza out of my hand just as I was taking a bite. I know what you're thinking. What kind of slob sits on the couch and eats pizza anyway? But I was exhausted... we had just emptied the house of about 40 people from a party and I had some leftover nervous energy stimulating my appetite.  He probably did too come to think of it. It was his first party and dozens of people adoring you and cringing away from your affectionate jumps simultaneously can get confusing and exhausting.Nevertheless, I modeled enough impulse control not to eat his hotdogs while getting the good tricks out of him.
So far he can sit,lay down, shake,off, leave it, drop it, fetch,come, stay, wait and speak. We're working on beg and roll over. Not bad for a 4 month old dog right? All praise the mighty hotdog.

No comments:

Post a Comment